PARENTS are being urged to stop using baby self-feeding pillows immediately and throw them away after a warning that they could lead to choking and death.
The Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) has issued an Urgent Safety Alert and said using them could lead to immediate, serious harm or death from choking or aspiration pneumonia.
Baby self-feeding pillow products are designed to be attached to a bottle so that the baby may be positioned on its back to self-feed without the assistance of a caregiver holding the bottle and controlling the feed. This is inconsistent with NHS guidance in relation to safe bottle feeding. But even when used as intended, and under the supervision of a caregiver, the OPSS say it could lead to immediate, serious harm or death.
The OPSS has told businesses selling the products that they must immediately remove them from the market as they cannot comply with the safety requirements under the General Product Safety Regulations 2005.
Officers from Sunderland City Council’s Trading Standards say they haven’t as yet come across any retailers locally selling the products after carrying out checks online. But they are urging anyone who comes across the self feeding baby pillows being sold locally to let them know so that they can visit the businesses concerned and take appropriate action.
Councillor Claire Rowntree, Deputy Leader of Sunderland City Council and Cabinet Member for Clean, Green City, said:
“We would urge any parents or carers who have one of these pillows to immediately stop using them and dispose of them safely. We’d also urge any businesses selling these to take them off sale immediately and ask anyone who sees them for sale anywhere locally in the city to report it to our trading standards.”
For further information and contact details: Visit the Office for Product Safety and Standards web pages on GOV.UK
Anyone who comes across the pillows being sold in Sunderland can contact the City Council’s Trading Standards on 0191 520 5552 or email them at: email@example.com